Once in a while I need to install SQL Server and there are a few options in the installation process I want to document here.
- Brand new box, WinXP SP3, no pre-existing Sql Server installed
- VS2008 SP1 and .NET 3.5 SP1 have been installed
- Edition: SQL Server 2008 Express
Pre-requisite on installing SQL Server 2008
Default Instance vs. Named Instance
Named instance: SqlExpress2008
Recommended to create a new account, because NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE and Local System give too much power. But I use NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE for now.
- Windows Collation vs. SQL Collation, use Windows Collation, Sql Collation is for backward compatibility.
- Collation designator: Chinese_PRC and check AS leave the rest un-checked, thus Chinese_PRC_CI_AS
Use Windows Authentication Mode over Mixed Mode, and Add Current User.
User database directory & User database log directory: change to yours instead of default.